More Glaciers

We have experienced a lot  of Glacier views.

It made sense to me to group them together rather than use dates as an organizing principal.

 

 

(I'm not including the dates - but they are all in mid August). 


Perhaps my favorite glacier view/experience was at the Athabasca Glacier. This is one of many outgrowths of the Columbia Icefields. 

The Athabasca Glacier goes down to about 6200'  (the day we were there). The images, the seond and third are of me pretending to drive the glacier mobile The first is me walking on the glacier. 

 

Elevation was about 6300' where I was.  It was in the upper 50sF on the glacier that day.  


Another great glacier view is also a lake view and surely is one of the best in the world.  It is from Fairmont Chateau at Lake Louise. The image is from the hotel website. 

 


Another image, this one from "Destinationlesstravel" is of another lake near Lake Louise which has a
glacier in the background.

 

We were there on the sabbath and the only image I took was the morning we left. 

 

It has the view from our hotel room. The camera is facing west. The hotel is at about 5200'.

 

The Lake Louise glacier comes down to about 7000' (the day we were there).




A final glacier image is me with a background of the Stutfield Glacier (It is from a viewpoint on the 'Icefields Parkway' (looking south). 

 I am standing at an elevation of about 5000' and the Stutfield glacier comes down to perhaps 8000'. You can see the Columbia icefields above the glacier. The surface of this field is at about 9k to 10k feet in elevation. The icefield is over 125 square. The icefield itself is not, as far as I could determine from internet, losing elevation. However, the glaciers coming out from the icefield are losing elevation.

 

 










.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jasper Alberta

Hoo Doos and the Banff Gondola

Day 3 Kamloops to Jasper